Sunday 18 August 2013

August Afternoon

Bright sunlight, a  cloudless blue sky, a warm breeze and the sweet smells of summer  -  steak, chicken, sausages, garlic and cooking oil  Are barbecues anti-social?  It depends which side of the fence you are on.  But I must not be an old grouch.  From the shrieks of mirth someone is obviously having a good time.
I must admit that in the sixties we had a party for my Brownie Pack in our garden and had a "sausage sizzle".  We salvaged two large oven shelves from a discarded oven at the local tip.  My husband dug a trench at the top of the garden nearest the field adjoining and lined it with bricks before filling it with sticks balancing the shelves on top and we cooked dozens of sausages which disappeared as quickly as we could cook them.  In my declining years  I have decided it is more sensible, though perhaps not so much fun, to make use of the perfectly adequate apparatus in my kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.